The Parents Association is the parent /guardian body associated with the school.
Our primary aims are as follows:
- To promote the interests of the students in the school in co-operation with the board; Principal, teachers and students of Gort Community School and for that purpose we may advise the Principal or the board on any matter relating to the school, as the case may be and the Principal and/or board shall have regard to any such advice
- To be a support and voice of parents of the school
- To foster good relations between parents, guardians, teachers, students and the school management at Gort Community School and ensure we are working towards providing the best possible education for our children.
- To work with the Principal; staff and board of school management to build effective partnership between home and school
Calendar of events
The Parents’ Association assists with the
- Book Rental Scheme for junior cycle students
- Helping with “behind the scenes” activities in support of the annual school musical in January
- First Year and other Parent/Student Information nights
- The second hand ski clothing sale
- Fund raising events such as the Church Gate Collection. Funds are used to fund events such as the ice cream van for final exams; benches outside the school; parent’s night topic address etc
- Ongoing school events as required events
How to get involved
The Parents’ Association holds an AGM, in the first term of each school year. All parents are invited to attend. At the AGM, members are elected to the Parents Association Committee. The Parents Association aims to elect 1 parent/guardian of children from each school year. The Association strongly encourages gender balance amongst its electees.
The Parents Association meets every second month, usually on a Tuesday from September to June. The Committee does not deal with issues, involving individuals, their parents and the school, but works with school management (principals or vice principals), who y attend each meeting, to promote the aims of the Association.
The Parents Association can be contacted at the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Parents Association Committee 2022-2023
Chairperson: Lynda Cummins
Vice chairperson: Cilla Fahey
Secretary: Justine Leigh
Treasurer: Phil Prendergast
You can contact our very active Parents Association through email
Following is a list of useful websites which parents may find helpful. If you would like to recommend relevant web sites to other parents, please let us know and we will post the links here.
National Parents Association organisations:
Gort Community School Parents Association is affiliated with two national Parents Association organisations: NPCpp is the National Parents Council Post Primary; PACCS is the Parents Association of Community and Comprehensive Schools.
Lastest NPCpp newsletter… The annual NPCpp Conference will be held in October 14th-15th in Athlone. All parents are invited to attend.
> Education in Ireland:
Portal for Irish education: www.scoilnet.ie (check out the Parents tab)
NCCA website: developments in Junior Cycle
NCCA website: developments in Senior Cycle
Rethinking Education – video by Michael Wesch
Study Skills resources from Cybraryman
Open Culture website – free cultural & educational media and
free online courses MIT’s Open Courseware – free online university courses from MIT
> Internet Safety
Iron-on Nametags for school clothing
www.irononnametags.ie or Tel. 049 555 2116 => €5 for a pack of 25 tags (with one name per tag)
LINKS REGARDING BERNADETTE DALY TALK 20.10.14 Bernadette Daly MIAHIP Group Facilitator/Trainer, Organisational Consultant 086 8397778 firstname.lastname@example.org
Pieta House: www.pieta.ie
Teenline: www. teenline.ie
GALWAY RAPE CRISIS CENTRE
Helpline 1800 355355 Michelle Caulfield 087 6135489