Visiting Speakers/Outdoor trips etc:
- Visit Irish Seedsavers, Scariff, Co. Clare
- National Ploughing Championship, Athy, Co.Kildare
- Food Glorious Food Schools Presentation and cookery demonstration on healthy food by Bord Bia.
- Remedi Debating Science Issues Debates in Galway, Finals Dublin.
- Schoolbots Challenge, Tipperary Institute
- BT Young Scientist Exhibition, Dublin
- Visit to the Physics Department NUIG
- Science Week 7th – 14th November Speaker and Demonstrators in.
- And maybe more.
- Woodwork – Building the raised beds for the vegetables.
- C.s.p.e. – linking with Worldwise friendship garden partnership in developing the gardens.
- Home Economics – Healthy Eating
- Physical Education – Sports Science
- English – Debating Science Issues
- Computers – Schoolbots Challenge, and presentation of projects.
Proposed Teaching Methodologies:
In as much as is possible, a variety of teaching methods will be employed to deliver this module successfully.
1. Self-directed learning:
Students will be encouraged to research topics building on information given in class, promoting confidence and developing social skills. They will be requested to make a short presentation of their selected research project at the end of the module.
Practical and experimental tasks in the module will create a positive learning opportunity to participate in team work, a skill which shall be beneficial when they become part of the workforce.
3. Technology and advancement:
Keeping in mind the rapid changes in technology and science and driven by the knowledge society in which we live, my aim is to deliver the course in a manner that will reflect these standards.
4. Preparation for life-long learning:
Learning the future for the future is of premium importance and it is my aspiration to equip our students with the necessary tools and skills which will stand to them, whether that means further studies or entering the workforce immediately upon leaving school to train in a trade, we hope they will have embraced the love of learning. And continue to enjoy the merits of knowledge and learning for many years to come.