Year 4 Students
Please refer to the RESOURCES page for useful websites which help you in the study of artists and movements which we explore.
It is important that you work continously for the written part of the course.
We started with SECTION 1 – Irish Art – The Georgian period.
What you should know by now:
For the INTRODUCTION to an essay
- Classical influences – Greek and Roman architecture
- Political and social background
- The Dublin Society
- The Grand Tour
THE TWO PERIODS
- Castletown House
- Bellamont, Co. Cavan
- The Casino at Marino
- Townhouses, e.g. No. 29 Merrion Square
- Emo Court (one of Gandon’s)
- Parliament House
- Custom House
- Four Courts
- The Stuccodores (LaFrancini Brothers, Robert West, Adam Brothers, Stapleton)
- Plasterwork (compartmented style, Rococo style, Neo-classical style)
- Imagery and motifs
- other decorative aspects of the house (furniture, fireplaces, silverware, chandeliers, glassware)
Note: you HAVE TO know 2 BUILDINGS by the same architect!
In an exam question you are usually asked to discuss:
- STYLE/ DESIGN
- ARCHITECTURAL FEATURES
ADDITIONALLY you should know about:
- Parkland surrounding the houses
- Sculpture, Applied Arts, Paintings, Order of Columns, Golden Mean
Essential is that you practise drawing these buildings and details of them
Please remember also to keep up with homework essays! Areas we cover now will not be repeated in Year 5. It is a 2-YEAR CYCLE!!!!!
I look forward to working with you for the next 2 years
Your art teacher
- ART – The Definitive Visual Guide
- Appreciating Art for Leaving Certificate
- The Revision Book
- Mrs. Slattery’s DVD (you need to know the VIP documents on that DVD!)
Please go to the RESOURCES page for useful websites