U-17 2013-12-09T11:51:12+00:00

Match Report

Gort C.S v St Ailbhe’s

U17s Soccer

Gort; Arek Mamala, Shane Moran, Steven Fahy, Andrew O’Kane, Jake Farrell, Niall Fahey, Jonathon Cosgrave, Luis Enereh, James Cosgrove, Joe Copley, Bryan Mullins.

Gort were dominant in the opening minutes, pressing St Ailbhe’s and holding onto the ball very well. Gort missed a good chance for the lead early on and from a succession of corner kicks St Ailbhe’s looked as if they would score. Gort held on though and took the lead in the 12th minute when Luis Enereh broke through and scored with a neat finish. From then Gort were in control. They had the majority of the possession and were creating chances with Bryan Mullins going very close on more than one occasion. Gort also had several penalty appeals, one of which was when Shane Moran went over on the edge of the box but the referee was having none of it as he yelled in dismay. In the 32nd minute Luis Enereh cracked one from long range which was brilliantly saved by the opposing keeper. St Ailbhe’s went close from a free-kick which Arek Mamala saved with ease just before the break. It finished one nil at half-time.

The second half started the same way the first finished with Gort in firm control. And it wasn’t long before they added to their tally when Bryan Mullins cracked a diving header off the post before scoring moments later as he slid the ball coolly past the keeper in a one on one situation. It was only matter of time before the third goal would come and in the 59th minute Louis shot from the edge of the box and the ball flew into the net. Now it was a question of how much Gort were going to win by. St Ailbhe’s posed no threat what so ever. The manager, Eoghan Hanley, began to ring the changes and made all five possible substitutions. The subs had a big impact on the game as Gustavo scored soon after coming on with cool finish in the 68th minute. Joe Copley had a succession of good chances after making some brilliant runs but he just couldn’t finish them. Gustavo then made it five with an exquisite effort. The ball was crossed to the edge of the box where he controlled the it on his left foot and coolly lofted the ball over the keeper with his right foot. James Cosgrove who had being playing excellently throughout the game, scored the sixth with a well taken shot from a tight angle as the clocked ticked into the final 10 minutes. It looked like Gort would finish with a clean sheet but that was not to be. A freekick was driven goalwards by St Ailbhe’s striker only for Arek Mamala to make a good save, unfortunately though the ball spilled into the path of one of their players who slid the ball into the open net. It finished 6-1. A thrilling game.