In GCS, Spanish is offered to students at Higher and Ordinary Level at both Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate Levels.
- In the Junior Certificate Cycle students have 4 class periods per week.
- In the Leaving Certificate Cycle students have 5 class periods per week.
Each student learns the four main skills which are an essential part in learning a foreign language which are Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. The pupils also get an insight into life in the Spanish speaking world and learn about customs and traditions and how their own country differs from those in the Spanish speaking world.
Junior Cycle Spanish Fact Sheet – A short information sheet on Junior Cycle Spanish for parents / guardians.
Junior Cycle Spanish MFL Specification – A detailed breakdown of the full Spanish syllabus at Junior Cycle:
Some Interesting details about the Spanish language
- It is the second most spoken language in the world after Mandarin
- The United States could become the largest Spanish speaking country within the next 15 years
- Spanish is the official language of more than 20 countries
Spain is famous for:
- Excellent Football teams
- Flamenco dancing and music
- Arts and Culture
- No1 Holiday destination for Europeans
- Festivals: Semana Santa, La Tomatina, Las Fallas and many more…