Transition Year Programme
Transition Year Curriculum 2010-2011
Length of Course: 15 weeks
Teacher(s): Dolarus Kelly and Chris Moran
Aims of the Course:
- To broaden students understanding of science
- Transition Year is an ideal opportunity for students to gain exposure to extremely interesting aspects of everyday science that may not be on the Junior or Leaving certificate syllabus.
- Educating the students on various aspects agricultural science, chemistry, biology, physics and beyond.
- Promoting general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on self-directed learning.
- To relate science to the real world.
- To find and explore the latest developments in the world of science.
- To assist students in selecting Leaving certificate subjects.
This programme contains many modules :
- Agricultural Science – Vegetable Garden, Recognising common weeds
- Flight, Space and Astronomy
- Sports Science
- Climate Change – Pollution, carbon footprint, Plastic
- Healthy Eating
- Forensic Science
- Fun Chemistry Experiments
- Remedi Debating Science Issues
- Schoolbots Challenge
- Bt Young Scientist Competition
- And any other points of interest indicated by the students.
As the Transition Year experience is based on more self-inquiry and direction not all modules above will be done due to the time frame, they will be chosen once learning more about the students interests.